Thursday, May 14, 2009

Like Thunder and Lightning!

Maple tree in the back yard took a big hit verrrrry early this morning.

It's like the tree literally exploded! See how far down the bark was peeled off the core? We found pieces of bark all around that area.

We also found this great big hunk of wood from the middle of the tree. No, my Croc flop wasn't outside for the excitement...I just put it there to give you an idea of the size of that hunk of wood.


Look! Hooray! My pansies are still growing and blooming! I just fixed the three tiers of plants yesterday. . . keep your fingers crossed for them, would ya? I have to get more potting soil to mix with regular dirt so I can fill the pots better. (Just wanted to make sure my mother knows I know the plants need more dirt around them!)



This evening's project-- took last year's cold frame box and added hardware cloth to the bottom to keep the dirt in it if I want to move it. The cool piece of hollow branch came from Mother and Daddy's woods. I can't wait for all these hens'n'chicks and other sedums to grow, grow, grow! I am so impatient, it was hard to not fill up the entire space right away.
So, that's been my day. . .well, the tree, plus subbing half a day, plus major straightening of my studio space, plus putting out the plants tonight. Thanks to Mallory for kissing that toad for me this morning. . .my day sure got better from there :)





8 comments:

Diane Hart said...

that poor tree.. thank goodness it didn't hit your house.. ... love the hens and chicks.. Diane

rosebud101 said...

OMG! Ang, you were so lucky! Love the hens and chicks. I have some in my huge pot next to the garage. Spike sends hugs. That toad escaped. Whew! No prince charming, but no more toads! rofl

Deb said...

Holy guacamole Ang! That tree did take a hit!
I'm pleased that the plants survived though...but what a shame to lose a Maple tree of that size :(

I used to sit on the playhouse roof during storms when I was a kid, hoping that lightening would strike some of the pines over on the golf course that we grew up next too. Never managed to see it actually happen though - Mum always caught me & would drag me inside with a stern warning that started with "Debra......." - I knew I was in the poo when she called me Debra!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

So sad for your tree, you must take that heart piece and make something beautiful from it. I really like your plants too... and your planter, very cool one. Now where's the toad?

betsymn said...

Dang! Lucky it was in the middle of the night when no one was out there.

We're supposed to have frost again Saturday night. Good thing I haven't put the tomatoes out yet.

gaffergirls.com said...

jeeezzzzzzzzzzz...
that poor tree....
70 here today...
have a great weekend...
mona & the girls

Laurie Whitney - Mermaid Glass said...

I'm so sad about your tree. I hate it when that happens. We've lost almost all of our Live and Laurel Oaks from hurricanes and it always makes me cry when another one goes down.
Sure am glad nothing fell on your house, though. :)

angelinabeadalina said...

Mmm-hmm, the playhouse thing is resonating here right now, Deb. Another thunderstorm is on the horizon, and Katie and Victoria are standing at the living room window watching lightning flash in the distance. James, on the other hand, is anxious that his sister and cousin will not get away from the window before the storm gets here (we can see at least five miles across the flatland here).


Elaine, the toad was Spike :) Mallory heard I was having a crappy start to my day, so she told me about how if you kiss a toad first thing, then your day can't get any worse...then she said that's why she gives Spike an extra smooch when she gets up in the morning, LOL.

Sitecounter