Tuesday, May 5, 2009

This Bugs Me

What a funky bug! She showed up on our patio door not long after the kids and I opened a brand new pack of crayons. Oh, yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah, the 96 pack with the built-in sharpener. . .I would not let the kids touch it until I had carefully loosened that silly perforated flip back top that hasn't changed since I was a kid. You know what I mean about that lid, don't you? Remember how easy it is to pull too quickly and rip the thin paperboard? Some things never change. James and Kate crowded close to me, hankering to grab new crayons, but I was channeling old ketchup commercials and took my time. As I flipped back the lid with one hand, I shielded the crayons with the other and instructed the munchkins to breathe in that glorious new crayon box scent, LOL. I have to admit that I also called dibs on first use of the Midnight Blue crayon :)
So, how could a Sunday morning be much better? Why in the world would I say "this bugs me" about a new box of crayons? I'll tell you. If you are going to play crayons with me, then you'd better not be in a race to see who gets to use the built-in sharpener first. Oh, my, I could almost go Christopher Walken on you if I reach into my brand new box of 96 Crayolas and grab a crayon that has already lost part of its paper wrapper! Just kidding. Christopher Walken didn't show up in our kitchen, BUT I did inform my daughter that she shouldn't need to sharpen that pretty red crayon YET.
Hope your Tuesday is a great one! Hope the worst thing that bugs you today is a wrapperless, broken crayon :)

9 comments:

Ellen said...

Ange - your description was perfect. I so remember those days. Makes me want to rush out and buy a box - I have to stop at the "big" store this afternoon, maybe I will.

angelinabeadalina said...

I highly recommend it, Ellen :)

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

psst... don't tell ANYONE... k... I don't have any children in my house, so I bought MYSELF a BIG box of crayons... AND I color with them all by myself, and sometimes I just open the box and smell them, and remember what it was like to be young and rip the paper off a red crayon....
Now I'm wanting to go home to smell my crayons instead of working like a grown up...

ShellyD said...

Geesh woman!!! Now I want to go out and buy a box of crayons and the shops are closing. LOL Thank you for the wonderful memories and reminding me of a few of my own.

The bug is gorgeous!!

Now to go and dream of crayons and maybe, just maybe, I'll get a box tomorrow while out shopping for the latest Ben 10 sticker book. Boy, can I see that costing me a fortune in the long run. LOL

Hugs

angelinabeadalina said...

Elaine, I think everybody ought to have their own box, kids in the house or not (I know I did before I had the kids!)... By the way, thanks for leaving Kate a comment, too. I'll show it to her after school:)

Mich, I'm subbing the third & fourth grade class at James and Kate's school today, and we just started making some bugs to go on a poster for their teacher. One of the fourth grade boys was just telling me how he'd like to make StinkFly if I give them more time to work on bugs this afternoon, LOL! Happy sticker book hunting! Bet the Ben 10 one is awesome (can you tell I have kids??).

gaffergirls.com said...

*the great thing about being an adult is getting the big box of 96

in a family with 6 kids we didnt get the big box .. oh so sad..
is that child abuse :)


still raining in Eugene Or. :(
I want some sun / don't think it's gonna happen this week :)

angelinabeadalina said...

Mona, I sure hope you get a break from the rain! A little bit of sunshine can go a long way...but it shouldn't have to stretch for days! Thinking about ya, Ang

rosebud101 said...

When I was teaching I used to buy crayons for the class. I secretly kept one box for me. No one else knew about it, and when we needed it, I would pretend to bring out the crayons from the masses in the box. However, I was the only who knew this was my own personal stash. I have never regretted it.

angelinabeadalina said...

Your students were lucky ducks to have such a caring teacher, Mallory :)

Sitecounter