Tuesday, May 12, 2009

TIRED of Kid Pics?

Heehee, well, then to put it as my sister would, "Sorry 'bout your luck." Besides the fact that I've rarely torched anything to put in a picture these days, it's just something we moms are bound to do, this taking pictures of our kids. I don't think we ever outgrow it, either. Just ask Mallory's "babies" :)
I have to tell you that I am a sucker for family pictures,pictures from any family, pictures from any time period. I love looking for similar features in people in a photograph, love attempting to decipher who is related to whom, love "reading" personalities in the body language. There's so much to be learned from a photograph of people. Was the person behind the camera an obliging stranger who paused to "just push this button here when the light comes on, thank you so much"? Was the person behind the camera the shy relative who never liked to find himself in a frame of film? Was the person behind the camera the family ham who loves to gather attention and smiles and capture them for posterity? Did the people in the picture come to be there by accident that particular day? Did the people in the picture plan to get a special shot to be used for an additional purpose?

The questions can go on and on... Why was Aunt Gertrude holding one sister's hand while leaning far away from another? Why was that other sister laughing? What about Grandmother there in the middle of the family? Was she thinking about another family pose decades earlier, one where she was the youngster and her own grandmother sat quietly beaming amongst her brood?
Who knows all the answers? Who can guess all the right questions so they can find the right answers? For instance, forty years from now, will a friend of a friend be looking at this image and ask, "I wonder what they were thinking?" Just for posterity, I'll tell you what I know about that answer:
James: Look at this giant tire!! Wow, I can't wait to get off here and look at that old magazine some more. There was a Pontiac advertisement on the back of it! Pontiac! Why does Granddaddy keep these big tires, anyway? Hey, where'd Uncle Bubby go? Hmm, Soupie, don't you think we oughtta go for a drive in your red car?
Kate: This tire is all womply on my butt!! (That's all. I know because that's what she yelled loud enough for everybody in the county to hear, LOL).

So what do you think about when you look at pictures of families? If you happen to look at funny little details like highwater pants and worn out tennis shoes, then let me add that James may never stop wearing those Spiderman jeans until he's a teenager. Oh, and I'm all for comfy shoes, but if you are reading this, son, I'm giving you fair warning that those are about to disappear :)
Enough rattling from me today. Yesterday was all about testing the new washing machine by catching up on the mountains of laundry, and today is all about a bunch of little to-do's that I need to be crossing off my list. Toodles :)



11 comments:

Janet said...

ha ha, my youngest was wearing a pair of her capri pants that were a size 4 up until last year when she was 12. Talk about squeezing into 'em. But, they were her favorite pants. At least with 'em being capris, they were already short.

Deb said...

Fabulous picture Ang. I adore the comosition & the wonder expanse of old weathered timber in the background.
I always wonder about the 'whys' of pretty much everything - including photo's.

Actually especially photo's....as is why on earth did Mum dress me in that, & what's more why did she have to pull all those old photo's out on Sunday. Why the hair product on a baby......

My biggest why is with really old photo's, the group photo's from (oops almost said 'last century') the 1800's & early 1900's...
I know they had to keep very still, but why did everyone look so darn stern & serious, not even a twinkle in the eye in most cases!

Oh & tell Kate I love the expression of "womply on my butt!!" lol!

rosebud101 said...

Ang, Memories! What wonderful memories you are making with your children! This is something they will be able to show their children when you are an old, old grandma!

Ellen said...

Ang - your kids are the coolest; I'll never get tired of seeing pics of them.

angelinabeadalina said...

"My biggest why is with really old photo's, the group photo's from (oops almost said 'last century') the 1800's & early 1900's...
I know they had to keep very still, but why did everyone look so darn stern & serious, not even a twinkle in the eye in most cases!"

Deb, it does make you wonder! Could it really be that it is easier to hold a frown for a long time than to smile continuously?? Getting your picture taken was a big deal, sometimes a once in a lifetime occasion, so you'd think even a slight smile would've been the norm. Life was harder then, but it surely wasn't joyless. Hmm, wonder what people will think of us a hundred years from now?

angelinabeadalina said...

Ellen and Mallory, thank you :)

Janet, the money you spent on that pair of capris was certainly well worth it, LOL! I think she needs to turn the trunk of them into a blue jean purse now so she can still "wear" her favorite pair of pants :)

gaffergirls.com said...

what a couple of cuties..
hope you had a wonderful momma day

are they always that nice to each other .. :)
have a great weekend ..
mona
family pics are a bit difficult for me to look at... but its time
gonna pull em out this weekend...
raining like crazy in Kent

angelinabeadalina said...

Huge hugs, Mona! Don't force yourself if you're not ready to face them.

And no, these two are not always this nice to each other. Couldn't have been more than an hour later when Uncle Bubby took away the new basketball because they were fighting again...

Laurie Whitney - Mermaid Glass said...

What great pictures! Your kids are cute enough on their own, but I love the weathered wall and tire backdrop, too. Oh, how I miss the midwest. So many great old things to photograph.

Sweetwater Designs said...

Great kid photos..they make perfect subjects don't they?
My kid photo taking has become my grand kid photo taking and its still just as fun..imagine that. :)

Janet said...

Janet, the money you spent on that pair of capris was certainly well worth it, LOL! I think she needs to turn the trunk of them into a blue jean purse now so she can still "wear" her favorite pair of pants :)


Wow, Ang, that's a great idea.

Sitecounter