Sunday, July 12, 2009

Crust. Crusty. Crusted Over. Why Do These Things Instantly Appeal to Me?

Crust. Crusty. Crusted over. Why do these things instantly appeal to me? I can't resist a rust encrusted piece of metal. Any old broken tool or unidentified piece of whoknowswhat suddenly develops a voice and calls, even screams, to me to pick it up and take it home. I can't resist pictures of barnacle encrusted sunken treasures. If I still did the scuba diving thing, I'd surely get in trouble for grabbing the pretties underwater and trying to take them home.


Now, I have a new way to love the word "crusted." I am enthralled with adding a huge, gunked up layer of enamel powder to a piece of molten glass, then flashing it through the flame just enough to attach it. Oh, man, do you know how you feel when you first see something in person and realize just how cool it really is? You know you aren't the first person to ever see it or do it, but all of a sudden you feel like you've invented sliced bread! That's the way I'm feeling this morning. . . and it is a good feeling, even when you know how inconsequential your "discovery" is in the real world.


Of course, I'm going to have to find a better way to describe it, a way that doesn't involve the word "crusty." It's not a pretty word, is it? It doesn't appeal to most people, either. Funny thing about words, the right ones seem to enjoy playing hide-n-seek more than they should, LOL.




7 comments:

Ellen said...

Well, Ang, when I saw the title for this blog I thought for sure you were talking about food. I even thought the picture looked a bit like pork tenderloin looks when it comes off the grill - after marinating it in a soy, etc. thing.
So, now I realize we're talking glass and enamel.
Thanks - you've given me my assignment for this afternoon.

Courtney Graham Hipp said...

That's exactly what I thought it was - BBQ pork!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Ang,

I'm trying for a 3rd time to post my comment. For some reason, I keep getting an error. Anyways, here goes...

Here's a linguistic suggestion for the word "crusty" - how about

"textural patina?"

wink!

I'm looking forward to see what you've created using a "textural patina!"

Cindy

angelinabeadalina said...

Mmmmm, pork chops! Hope you had some fun with glass and enamel this afternoon, Ellen!

Textural patina has a nice ring to it, Cindy. Thanks!

rosebud101 said...

Crusty is good on bread. Crusty is good on pizza. Crusty is not good on eyes. I think that crusty can be good on tools, though. I'm not adverse to that.

BEADNIK (petra.janssen) said...

My thoughts were instantly diving into my "box of (c)rusty things" ... and I admit I also thought about BBQ first before I recognized the textural patina of enamels ... :)

Sharon Driscoll said...

Euwwwww.....I think I did that to my finger once!

Sitecounter