Friday, July 10, 2009

Hidden Goddess, Hidden Goodness

With the first glance, I thought I would hide her. With the second glance, I realized she would not stand for that. She's my first attempt at adding glass powder to a goddess sculpture. The Forest Green and Gold Lustre combination I mixed in the salt shaker is a good one. It's the execution of the idea that requires some more practice.
For all you glass peeps, here's what I've learned (and not learned) so far about enamels:
  • I'm not sure what to call them, actually. Enamels? Some of the finely ground ones are labeled "talc," so Talcs? Powders? Frit seems to be for more coarsely ground glass.
  • Whatever you call them, they are full of possibilities! Sprinkle on top of molten glass, flash through the flame to attach them to said molten glass, and behold, you have created texture. Melt, swirl, blend, and behold, you have created a new color of glass.
  • So, Tasha, you were right in thinking I should try some of that pixie dust you tried to give me. . . a sprinkling of powder can create a sparkling frost on a sculpture.
  • The blending is going to be my thing, I think. Midnight Blue and Cobalt powders melted into an ivory base turn into a gorgeously irridescent, deep blue shine.
  • Rolling the molten glass across a thin layer of enamel works fine for round or barrel or tab shapes, but it isn't going to work well for sculpted shapes. Rolling is great for smooth shapes, though, because you can roll and melt, roll and melt, roll and melt, to your intense color craving heart's content.
  • The salt shakers are going to be fine for adding enamels to sculpted pieces.
  • This is a silly little thing, but I quickly realized I need to be more ambidextrous at the torch. Getting all sides of a sculpture molten and quickly shaking powder over them is awkward if you try to do it all right-handed. I missed certain angles every time.
  • Practice and play, practice and play, that's gonna be the key to making the most of enamels.

For all of us, not just glass peeps, here's what I've learned about hidden goddesses and hidden goodnesses:

  • Hiding a less-than-perfect attempt at anything isn't really necessary. Hiding makes you feel like a less-than-perfect attempt yourself. Sharing your progress, no matter how tiny the steps, liberates your soul in an unexpected way. It isn't a matter of giving in and saying, "look at me screw this up." It is a matter of acknowledging the work you are doing to get to a goal.
  • Unless you make it a point to look for the goodness hidden in a situation, quick glances around you will only reveal the big, obvious aspects. However, if you train yourself to be more aware of the smaller details, finding the good ones becomes a natural response.
  • There is a joy to be found in leaving a goddess (or a goodness) hidden in a place where someone will likely run across it and find joy in it.

That's it for now. Hope you each are having a positively satisfying Friday!

5 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Wow, Ang! Love the new lady! Lessons learned from glass are amazing, aren't they? Well, done!

Ellen said...

Never thought about using a salt shaker - hmmmm.
You've inspired me to get out the few enamels I have.
Your "gal" is stately and sexy at the same time. That's hard to pull off but you/she(?) managed it.

angelinabeadalina said...

Hey, thanks, you two :)

Ellen, I forgot to add that I taped over most of the holes on the salt shaker so as not to dump way too much at one time. I found my glass container with metal lid shakers at the Dollar Tree. Two for a dollar, so I decided I could improvise a little bit. Have fun playing with the enamels!

Anonymous said...

very cool!
I just bought a tool for enamels from www.bearfootart.com - it's called Powder vibe, it might give you a few more ideas for using enamels.
Love your blog - thanks for sharing!
Melissa

angelinabeadalina said...

Hey, Melissa, I'm glad you mentioned it. I'd forgotten about that tool-- seen it mentioned before, but didn't pay attention because I didn't have any enamels at the time.

Sitecounter