Thursday, July 9, 2009

Road Trip Junk

My favorite road trip anymore is the four hour one to my Mom and Dad's in Kentucky. A great big hunk of the drive is on the interstate. Interstates are quicker than winding country roads, it's true. It's also true that what they lack in personality, they make up for in boredom. Ho-hum . . . unless you realize life is what you make it, and you can make one of those long drives an island of the "different" in an ocean of the "ordinary."
Here's how that works for me. First of all, I make no claim that my ordinary eating habits are healthy. I accepted a long time ago that I like junk and cannot do the cold turkey give-it-up. Ah, but the roadtrip stop calls for something different or out of the ordinary. When I pull into the MotoMart in Cynthiana, Indiana, I'm ready for a break. The kids and I take our time choosing a drink and a snack. James goes for things like YooHoo or chocolate milk (or Dr. Pepper) and GobStoppers or Doritos. Kate likes a bottle of Bug Juice or an interesting bottle of water (flip top caps are a weakness for both of us, even though tap water does the trick at home) and Peach Rings or a Little Debbie oatmeal cake. For me, it's a Diet Coke or a bottled coffee drink or a flavored water and whatever strikes me as something different for the snack. Sometimes it's Turtles. Sometimes it's red licorice. This time it was these Cheese Wheels.
As for the Cheese Wheels, my opinion is "once every twenty years is enough." But, hey, that's the whole point of the stop, this trying different things and breaking up the drive with a bit of cheap entertainment in the form of a drink and a snack.
Now, I was going to write more and even add lots of links, but maybe the radio versus CD's part of the essay can wait for another day. Suffice it to say that I am not a radio listener during my everyday routine. Road trips are another story, though. That's when I get my radio fix (liberally interspersed with favorite CD's).
Howzabout you? What part of a road trip is your favorite?


3 comments:

rosebud101 said...

If someone else is driving, the nap is my favorite part of the road trip. If I'm driving, the singing! I love to sing along with the music from the CD's!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

I hear ya, Ang! Cheese wheels - seemed like a good idea when you bought them, right? LOL! Last year we drove from western NY state to Chicago, Illinois - 11 hrs - why? don't ask me, it was The Teen that made me do it! LOL!

Enjoy your visit with family :-)

Cindy

angelinabeadalina said...

Yep, Mallory, naps for riding and songs for driving-- that's me, too. Cindy, if I remember right, that long road trip for The Teen was one he'll remember for a long time-- how cool to have parents like you two.

Sitecounter