Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Grilled Copper


Grilled copper bookmark.
Circa 2009.
Junk collection of A. Garren.


She's an embossed sketch inspired by a photograph of an intricate sculpture of Maya standing under the tree of life and sprouting Siddhartha from her ribs. Maybe it was the "ribs" part of the story, which I initially ignored while making the sketch, that subconsciously prompted me to bury the bright copper bookmark in the coals of the grill after I'd finished inscribing the sketch? Well, that, and the knowledge that heat applied to copper brings out some pretty colors. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to what kind of heat was mentioned whenever I read that blurb about heat and copper. Soooooo, being the pyromiddleagedmaniac lover of flame that I am, I got the bright idea to heat her in the charcoal.

Of course, one wild hair leads to another, and I decided that if coals were good, then some fast burning cardboard on top of the pile would be even better. Poor, poor Maya. Don't know whether it was the cardboard or the chilling splash of cold water when I finally decided I'd better put out the fire, but something charred her completely black from about shin height to the top of the tree of life branch dangling over her dainty headdress. Solid. Black. So much for bringing out pretty colors!

Now that she's had a lovely lemon juice and salt scrub, she's feeling much better. Bonus to the salt scrub is that she can actually be used as a bookmark, whereas before she would've amounted to a charcoal rubbing marking the page of your (hopefully not borrowed from the library) book.

Since today is the full day of school for the kiddos, I think this Mom needs to think about firing up the torch and melting some glass. I really enjoyed looking at that photograph, picking out the most prominent lines, and echoing those lines as I scratched this sketch onto the copper BUT. . .you know what I'm gonna say. . . in the end, nothing looks and feels as right to me as the finished product when I melt glass. Everything else manages to leave me scratching my head and wondering how in the world to make it look more polished and professional, ya know?

4 comments:

Diane said...

She looks great to me! Nice job ... diane

rosebud101 said...

I know! Enjoy your time.

gaffergirls.com said...

hi sweetie .....


she is so pretty...

wish you were here.....

summer is flying by....
back to work...for me....
here we go...

have a great weekend....

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Enjoy the P&Q while the kidlets are in school... can't wait to see what you create next. This bookmark is amazing.

Sitecounter