Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Son, You Got a Panty on Your Head

Who dresses you? Don't you think that's a little excessive for the Carolina league?
Gooooooooooood Mooooooooooornin', Interwebs!
I triple dog dare you to speak in your favorite movie terms. . . It can be pretty darn fun. You might want to see if you can't update yourself a bit, though, instead of being stuck in my twenties and thirties. Aaah, who couldn't learn how to handle all sorts of situations by watching Bull Durham?
  • "...and candlesticks always make a good wedding present."
  • "I'm just happy to be here, and I hope I can help the club."
  • "The rose goes in the front, big guy."

Who hasn't cried, listening to Louis Armstrong's voice serenely belting out "What a Wonderful World" while a montage of scenes of young men arriving in Vietnam flows across the bleary screen?

Who hasn't just about peed their pants while watching Nicholas Cage's bumbling robbery of a pack of diapers from the convenience store? Son, you got a panty (say that with a long "a" sound, paaaaaaaanty) on your head.

Oh, and the heroines to be admired. Angela Bassett and I probably share only our first names, but every time I watched her I could feel her confidence pumping mine up just a bit. Geena Davis in The Long Kiss Goodnight might not have done her best acting, but her character was surely the epitomy of kickbuttwomanhood. Susan Sarandon, well, what's not to say? Talk about a strong minded, smart woman. You know what I realized as I stacked these videos in a box and vaguely remembered scenes and lines? I always wanted to be those girls. . . just never worked out. The year I wanted to be as tough and cool as Kelly McGillis was the same year I got a short haircut and looked like Tom Cruise. Yep, instead of a kickbutt heroine, I think I must resemble a frazzled Ralphie's mom. . . you don't remember her, do you? Nah, that's what I thought. Took me a minute to recall her, too. It's okay. I've always been pretty nondescript, always more likely to be mistaken for Ferris Bueller's sister than for Patrick Swayze's dance partner. I'll tell you one thing about not being the gorgeous heroine, though . . . there will come a day (hmm, probably in your forties) when you will be quite happy with the woman you've become, no matter which movie character her facade resembles.

So, relax, let's have some fun out here. This game's fun, okay? Fun, goddammit. And don't hold the ball so hard. It's an egg, got it? Hold it like an egg.

6 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

This lady is my HERO... I wish I looked as good as she does today... forget when I'm 85...
http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/articles/Dorothy_Dale_Kloss_Oldest_Showgirl_in_the_World.html

Sorry the link is so long... but it is worth copy and paste to see this.

angelinabeadalina said...

Holymoly, me, too. I couldn't get that link to work, so I googled her name and found this

http://www.psfollies.com/lovelies.php?id=12

Way to age gracefully and well!

gaffergirls.com said...

hey sister.....

thanks for the wonderful post on my bday... brought me to tears..
wish you were here...
mona & the girls

next year for sure.....

rosebud101 said...

Wow! I remember Ralphie's mom! That is my all time favorite show, other than the Monster from the Black Lagoon. Great post, Ang!

Patty said...

What fun! Raising Arizona is one of my favorite movies. What do you make of that? I can make a teradactyl, or a broach, or... (I'm sure I messed that one up). Thanks for a fun post!

Deb said...

So many movies, so little time! How does one pick a favorite....Rocky Horror Picture Show; Riff Raff "You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs..." or Annie & old Carol Burnett in the bath with the gin singing "Some women are dripping with diamonds
Some women are dripping with pearls
Lucky me! Lucky me!
Look at what I'm dripping with.....
Little girls" (boy do I know how she felt, at times!).
OK - I'm weird, best I stop here!

Sitecounter