Wednesday, January 20, 2010

So, In Case You Are One of the Two People on the Planet Who Haven't Yet Heard This Story...

We moved to our house in October. We tried to find a house and get moved before the new school year started, but you know how it goes. . . Since the new school was twenty-some miles away from good ol' Irvington Grade School, commuting to it from the beginning of the school year wasn't an option.

Changing schools is never a fun thing, but lots of us did it as kids and/or know someone who survived and thrived. I changed schools in the middle of second grade, and I think my mother was ready to tear out some hair (I'm not saying whether it was her own, mine, or both, LOL) after listening to the constant complaining from me. I survived it, though. I made friends, and by the time my sister started first grade the following year, Howevalley Elementary was "home."

There are things I remember about switching schools, but those things pale in comparison to what my son did to my daughter when we finally moved. What you should know is that my children are easily recognizable as siblings-- blue eyes, blonde hair, lots of the same expressions, etc. There's really not much doubt that they are blood relatives.

Um, well, at least I thought there shouldn't be much doubt until I was stopped in the cafeteria by one of James' classmates one day. She wanted to know, "Mrs. Garren, is it true that Katie is adopted?". You can insert all kinds of fireworks and whistles blaring and steam rolling out the cartoon characters ears right here if you want to imagine my true reaction underneath the tactful and sweet, "Oh, no. Kate's not adopted. Wonder what made you think that?"




I. knew. what. or. who. made. her. think. that. . . and I was livid that my son did that to his sister. I also thought it was a pretty damn funny stroke of genius in the sibling rivalry wars, but I wasn't in the mood to laugh about it quite yet. I figured after a few weeks, and more than a few re-tellings of the story because it is actually funny to almost anyone who's ever battled with a brother or sister, I would be fine with laughing about it.

The said few weeks passed. I laughed to myself whenever I heard this story mentioned. Then. . .well, then, I went to Kate's first basketball practice and met some of the second graders' parents. One of those parents was so thoughtful and kind when she explained to me how her family had talked about adoption and how wonderful it is that Kate has a home where she can be loved. WHAT??????

Yep. What a story. I hope she gets even with her brother some day to the same degree, but I'm not sure I want to know about it when it happens. . .I mean, really, how can ya beat this one?

5 comments:

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

LOL,Hahahahhahahahha. He's good!

rosebud101 said...

Now, that was truly genius! I do hope she gets back at him!

Diana Ferreira said...

My brother never did that to me, but I was convinced that I was adopted - till I saw a picture of me with all the cousins and brother and sister, and realised that I shared their genetic make-up.

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

I thought I was adopted too... wasn't but I always thought my Mother liked my brothers better than me, and figured that was why. The older we all get the more alike we all are... and Mother told my daughter that she didn't know why but I never loved her as much as the boys did right from the start... she said even as a baby I'd cry when she held me, and coo when my Dad held me... She never told me that... but at least now as I approach the age of 60 I know the reason... Families... everybody has one.

angelinabeadalina said...

No getting around it, family members start to look more and more like one another as the years go by!

Sitecounter