Saturday, February 6, 2010

Been Practicin'

Believe it, or not, I actually came close to meeting my goal of sketching something every day in January! It made a big difference at first, mostly in my confidence. Proportion is my nemesis, but practicing gives me the nerve to keep trying :)


Before this feather, there was the painstakingly done body of a peacock. . . the body that was then ruined in a flash by not-so-painstaking attention to the details of the way feathers lay. Back pedaled. Used all reserves of patience. Sketched just a single end of a single feather. Lesson learned (or at least, lesson reiterated).

February, and the practicing continues. . . sorta, kinda. Sophie the medicine woman has some pretty neat shading, but I cropped off the top of her hat because it looked about two sizes too small, LOL. The thing is, once you get some confidence, you start stretching yourself some. Once you start stretching some, you go back to failing! Argh! No wonder why that old saying about "one step forward, two steps back" hangs around in our lexicon. It's a truth. It's not necesarily a bad one, either. It's simply a reminder of the way of life, a reminder that it's okay to fall as long as you learn from it and keep on walking. Happy trails!


3 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

THEY ARE NOT failures... they may not be the picture you saw in your minds eye when you started... but own it's own it is very good.... other people can't see inside your head, and so don't realize what you didn't get quite right. I know this because I've don't some 'real' stinkers, that other people seem to think are ok (not master pieces... but ok)... so stick with it my friend your sketches are wonderful just like your glass.

rosebud101 said...

Neat, Ang! Good for you keeping to your goal of sketching almost everyday. I like the sketches!

angelinabeadalina said...

Elaine, I can't thank you enough for the inspiration (even though it's taken me this long to actually start practicing regularly). You are right about what other people see versus what we want to capture on paper-- I've never seen a "stinker" on your blog, but you've just said you think you have them.
Mallory, do you know how much your encouragement does for all of us who receive it?? You're the best :)

Sitecounter