Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thistle Seed Junkies

















Thistle seed junkies, that's what they are. Goldfinches swarms by the dozens around the feeders at my mom and dad's house. Mother keeps the feeders filled with goldfinch crack, and the birds let all their friends know where to get the hook-up.

My quest to get closeup pictures of the little yellow-feathered devils has not been a successful one. It was eventful at first, but then I quit attempting to lie flat on the ground near the feeders in hopes of getting a real cloooooooooooose close-up (that had to have been pretty damn amusing for the rest of the family, watching me try to get warm and comfy on pieces of cardboard on the cold ground). I've made sporadic attempts since then, but hey, sometimes it's best to just open your eyes and peer from a window.

Soon, we'll visit Grandma and Granddaddy, and I'll be stalking the goldfinches and the sandcranes yet another time. It's not about the capture (of the perfect photo), it's about the hunt, right?? In the meantime, I'm stalking knowledge of how to use colored pencils to make decent drawings. Once again, it's the hunt, right??

Actually, there are some pretty cool tips and tricks to be found online. (Executing them is another story.) Try googling "drawing with colored pencils," and you're bound to stumble across some good sites, maybe even the ones I discovered and then forgot to bookmark so I could send you to them straightaway ;-)

First tip-- toilet paper. Toilet paper is your friend, and not just because you want to wipe what you think is turning out like crap off your sketch page, LOL. Using colored pencils is more about layering than I realized, and toilet paper is supposed to be great for rubbing and polishing each layer of color. I didn't try it until after I drew the bird feeder, so taking pictures would only show you a few swatches of colors. Second tip-- makeup applicators and wedges. Seeing as how I never wear makeup anymore, it's nice to find a use for that bag of makeup sponge-wedges that were still in the bathroom cabinet! Once again, it's all about the layering of colors. So, get out there, people, and scrounge through your bathroom for art supplies!

2 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Sounds like WORK Ang, thats why I like watercolor, you can do layers, but you don't have too if you lay it on thick :-)
Your gold finches look mighty fine.

angelinabeadalina said...

Yep, I can tell you I'm going stir crazy without my torch space set up because every other art form feels like the WORK word to me. Glass? I can do that for hours and never feel as if I'm working-- practicing, stretching myself, meditating, but never WORKING.

Sitecounter