Saturday, April 10, 2010

April Is Full of Pretty Surprises




Green leaves, that's all I noticed about this bush last fall. . .didn't have any idea that it would bloom so prettily in the spring!

April is full of such pretty little surprises when your backyard is new to you. . . but you know what? I'd be willing to bet there will be surprises every single spring, simply because nature's extravagance can't be taken in and measured fully at any one sitting. Seems to me, there will always be little details suddenly popping into my line of sight after years of escaping my observation.

This pretty, blooming bush is the big surprise this year, but there are little surprises and delights that are gaining my notice. For instance, the pale green leaves emerging from the oak tree were surprisingly frail and wispy looking to me. Oak leaves in the summer and fall are so leathery and thick looking. This year I knew where two oak trees were, and so now I know what their infant leaves look like. Surely, in four decades, I've been around oak trees in the spring. . . but this time, interest and proximity came together. Oh, and let's not forget about the poplar leaves. How is it that I had never noticed the way those leaves seem to spring from a tulip-y looking bud overnight, waving themselves proudly?

April, April, I do love you more each year!


No comments:

Sitecounter