Monday, April 26, 2010

Focus on One Drop


Living in the moment is easier said than done, but it's a great goal. I've read that "now" is the knife edge between "past" and "future," so living in the moment relieves us of regrets that dwell in the remembered past and anxieties that lurk in the imagined future of our mind.

Today, I have spent the morning replaying things in my head, as well as writing ideas for the future. Today, I have had trouble living in the moment. I wonder why we do this to ourselves? Maybe, it is an escape from the realizations that we can't change the past and that we can't let the past change us.

The funny thing is that the scope of our regrets and worries doesn't have to be great in order to throw us off balance. For instance, my befuddlement today has to do with regretting that my teacher aid job ended unexpectedly last Thursday when the child moved to another district and with wondering how I'm going to finally get my garden tilled and planted if it keeps raining for the coming weeks.

What can I do to change either of those things? I can't (and don't want to) tell people where to live and when to move, and last time I checked, I'm not in charge of the weather. These days, I don't put a lot of stock in worrying about things I cannot change. At least, I try to not spend too much time letting things out of my control pick at my brain. That is not always as easy to do as it is to think, though. . . so, here I sit, trying to write out my emotions and render them less powerful by capturing them in words.

After plenty of writing, lots of backspacing, more writing, and even more backspacing, my conclusion is this:

Focus on one drop.
That's all, a single drop.






4 comments:

Sharon Driscoll said...

Oh Gosh Ang, living in the moment is very Zen - maybe even more than any of us can accomplish but I can assure you of one thing. You are definitely on the right track!

If we all spent more time concentrating on the "one drop" and letting go of things that are beyond our control we'd be better off by a mile.

Easy to say - hard to do. BUT,
I'm pulling for ya!

angelinabeadalina said...

Hey, Sharon, thanks! I just re-read what I wrote, and boy, does it sound oh-poor-me-ish! I guess it's a lot easier to think in Zen terms than it is to write it in a short blog post, lol.
I've been reading about both the Tao and Zen lately, as you can probably tell. A lot of it makes sense to me, feels "right" to me. It makes brain spin to try to see the whole picture, but living in the moment for one moment at a time is an approachable goal! Okay, I need more coffee before I attempt to write any more...hope you have a terrific Friday :-)

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Have a happy weekend... Living in the NOW...and some sayings that I like about that... First... You are where you are today, because of the choices you made before today... where you are tomorrow depends on the choices you make today.. so choose wisely.
and for the scatter brained me...
You will NEVER catch a rabbit if you chase 9 at once FOCUS!
Love your 'drop' photo...

angelinabeadalina said...

"You will NEVER catch a rabbit if you chase 9 at once" is a great mental image, Elaine. I do believe I'll remember that one and use it!

Sitecounter