Saturday, April 17, 2010

Work-- I Could Sit and Watch It for Hours


Fascinating stuff, this work.




I could sit and watch it for hours.




Well, for real, I am lazy in a way. Once I get started, I can scrub or file or brush or sand with the best of them. I'm just not very motivated to begin these tasks unless I am on the clock. If you are paying me, then I want work to do. I want the time to fly, want to see physical results, want to keep moving. I detest having to hunt for work to keep busy when I'm on the clock, but that's exactly what I will do.

In the interest of aiding bored employees everywhere, I'm willing to share my list of "go-to" cleaning projects. Mind you, these should not be used at home unless you have already read every book in the house, surfed the available television channels forty-three times, called friends and family just to chat, and painted murals on both of your big toenails. However, free time at work and free time at home are two totally different things. Free time at work can be a curse if, like me, you grew up thinking time on the clock should be time spent actually working for your employer. These are some little, but time-consuming, tasks I either did myself or thought about doing to pass the time when I worked at a daycare when my kids were younger:
  • Have you ever noticed the metal thresholds at the bottom of a doorway? Have you ever noticed that some of them have grooves? Dirt collects in those grooves, and it isn't easily swept away. Use a butter knife or other narrow straight edge to scrape the compacted dirt out of each of those grooves. Who else is going to do this? Besides, the satisfaction factor is fairly high, too, when you get finished and see the sparkling metal instead of grunge.
  • Does your workplace have hard plastic chairs? How many ink and pencil marks, along with various other dark spots, do you think you'll find on those? You'd be amazed. Those chairs have most likely had plenty of wipe-downs, but grunge that requires a bit of scrubbing likes to stick to that plastic. Your scrubbing will be noted and appreciated, and once again, the satisfaction factor is fairly high because you will be able to see almost instant results.
  • Table legs are another potentially worthwhile busy-work project. Everyone wipes off the top of tables, but how often do they have the time to give the legs a good scrub?
  • Straighten a supply closet or drawer. Notice I didn't use the term "clean out" for this one? That might make for an unfortunate misinterpretation of my advice! Seriously, though, the next time your boss needs a box of paperclips, she is going to be happy that she can find them in the supply closet instead of having to run to the office supply store (which might be what happened those last four times she desperately needed paperclips, explaining why you found a dozen boxes in said closet, LOL).
  • Are there frequently used appliances or tools that aren't claimed by any particular department but used by everyone? You can almost bet that when no one claims them, no one cleans them, either. Cleaning can make something like a ten year old pencil sharpener look brand new, and who doesn't like using "new" tools?
And now, I have absolutely reached my limit of lazy time for today. There are weeds to be trimmed along the edge of sidewalk, and there are clothes to be sorted into laundry piles. Guess I had better get to work!

No comments:

Sitecounter