Sunday, May 9, 2010

Clara-Greer-O-Pedia


Oh, sure, you've got your Britannica's, your Wiki's, and your assorted almanacs and such, but I have my mom. Have you ever stopped to think how much information we glean from our mothers? Have you ever contemplated how much you know because your mother knew it before you did and passed it along to you?

Well, I'm that's what I'm doing today. I'm giving you a list of things Mother has taught me or shown me by example or would willingly provide the secrets if asked. You know, sometimes it's hard to remember exactly where you picked up information, but even when my mom is not the only source, she is a reliable and trusted source. . . you could say it's her word that solidifies a subject. So, here you go, a random list (random because I know there are so many things and that I'll forget some) of random things (random because I'm not even going to try to organize these for you, whether it be by subject or by time when I learned them) I know because of Mother:

  • to blow a bubble with chewing gum, you have to flatten the wad of gum against your teeth and then blow
  • you need to fluff a feather bed every day
  • tomato plants will put down roots anywhere the stem happens to touch the ground
  • cake flour makes a difference in the finished cake
  • German Chocolate Cake is a family favorite for good reason and I can bake it myself
  • if you don't have a candy thermometer, it's okay-- just use a small bowl of cold water and drop candy in it until it reaches the soft ball stage
  • family ties are important-- from grandparents to aunts and uncles to cousins and cousins' kids
  • don't let dogs and cats in the house (and of course, I had to test this by having dogs in my house soon as I was a grownup; FYI it's a big job to keep dog hair from covering every surface in the house, and I finally decided outdoor pets are best for me)
  • go outside every day-- you'll feel better
  • a sharp hoe is the most valuable gardening tool
  • keep your hands on the steering wheel
  • the eyes of the seed potatoes better be pointed upward before you cover them with dirt
  • some families were too poor for Santa to visit when my mom was little
  • when I was 6, this important information about Santa tipped me off to the secret of Santa
  • now that I am 44, this important information reminds me to have compassion and understanding instead of jumping to conclusions
  • spraying the tile floors with Pledge so we can "skate" in our socks is something I will never, ever, do again
  • strawberry freezer jam is incredibly delicious
  • if you purchase rotten fruit at Sam's, they'll give you double your money back
  • don't run around the store/restaurant/anyplace like a chicken with its head cut off
  • buttermilk is good. . .blech! yuck! sorry, Mother, can't get this one!
  • if your children are being too quiet, something is going on and you'd better check it out

That last one reminded me that my own two have been a little too quiet for the last few minutes, so I'd better do some investigating. Before I go, let me just say HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO MY MOM! I LOVE YOU!


3 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

You've got a very wise Mom... and you are no doubt a very wise Mom as well... your kids will think so too... at least once they have kids of their own... you'll go thru a really dumb stage about the time your kids hit 13 ... but it doesn't last too long.
Happy Mother's Day to you.

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

Hey, that is a pretty comprehensive list Ang. Two big thumbs up!

Julianna Cannon said...

Hey Angelina,
I think there is something on my blog for you. :)

Sitecounter