Monday, May 3, 2010

Is Monday "Wash Day" at Your House?


Here's a scene from The Fort, that awesome place hidden away right here in Clinton County. This guy has really done a terrific job recreating scenes in the log cabins he's moved to the site. It was certainly interesting to see the kids' reactions to everything. It was also informative. Now, I realize how much my own kids don't know about the way life used to be. Everyday history, that's what you could call it, and that's what kids don't know that they don't know.

The elderly residents of a nursing home where I worked in the early 1990's taught me a few things about everyday history, and those tidbits of information came in handy while we were touring the cabins at The Fort. (Of course, my mom gets lots of credit for telling us about a lot of these things when we were young, and that's probably the same for you if you are anywhere near 35 years old.) One thing that the nursing home residents taught me was that each day of the week had a special purpose:


Sunday was a day of worship and rest.
Monday was laundry day.
Tuesday was ironing day.
Wednesday was ________?____________.
Thursday was _______?___________.
Friday was baking day (not sure about this one, either).
Saturday was bath day (and something else, too).

Would you look at that? I can't even remember the order, or all the chores, past Tuesday. I might not even have that right, but ironing day did have to come after laundry day. There was a reason behind each day's order, too. You wanted to do the baking on a certain day so you'd be prepared for visitors and for Sunday dinners.

Okay, that's it for my memory cells today. What about you? Can you fill in and/or rearrange any of the blanks in the schedule? Do you remember any tidbits your own parents or grandparents might have shared with you?


2 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Monday: Wash Day
Tuesday: Ironing Day
Wednesday: Sewing Day
Thursday: Market Day
Friday: Cleaning Day
Saturday: Baking Day
Sunday: Day of Rest

You'll note my family didn't have a bath day LOL

angelinabeadalina said...

Hooo boy, if any of those ladies are still alive, I hope they don't get wind of me forgetting so much of that, lol. . .I can't believe how much I'd forgotten.

Sitecounter