Friday, October 29, 2010

Squiggly Lines and Half Moons

Always, the moon is a drawing force upon my soul.
That squiggly branched dead tree in the backyard is, too. It may not pull me the way the moon does, but that tree makes me fall in love with it every time I look out the back windows.
The other night, I was walking back to the house from the shed. My feet stopped at the tree, even though I try not to stand under it when the wind is blowing. Before I realized what I was doing, my hand laid itself upon a flat part of the trunk where a branch had once been. It was the same motion as someone resting their hand on a loved one's heart. So instead of a tree hugger, does this make me a tree patter?
I also happen to be a tree watcher. This one has a few different woodpeckers who treat it like their very own buffet, as well as plenty of sparrows and a stray goldfinch or two who drop in to rest on a favorite tall branch. Exotic birds and pet birds will catch my eye, but my true love is simply observing whichever wildbirds are near me. Hummingbirds at my mom's feeders, sandhill cranes in the fields near my parents' home, blue jays in the tall trees along the ditch at the back of our yard, hawks on light poles, and even turkey vultures resting on a neighbor's split rail type fence. . . those are my delights. Just like the squiggly tree, their adornments seem subtle but fascinating.
Hmmm. I'm not sure how that all ties in with the moon, although Luna is the retiring and shy counterpart to the blazing sun if you think about it.
Anyway, just a little rambling to go wiggle its way into your brain, just like the squiggly branches are always wiggling their way into mine!
Have an awe-inspiring Friday!

3 comments:

Sharon Driscoll said...

Hallelujah!! It's good to have you back!

rosebud101 said...

Isn't it great, Sharon, Ang is writing again!

angelinabeadalina said...

You two are too sweet :)

Sitecounter