Wednesday, October 27, 2010

When It's All Said and Done

When it's all said and done, I guess the thing that attracts me to these older gravestones is the intrigue, the mystery, the stories. Time has worn them, but it hasn't erased them completely.


Who was lain to rest here? Pauper or prince? Does it matter now?


Memories upheld, bolstered by more memories.

Is it sad, or is it simply the results of time's march?


How can you not wonder about the connections this human had to other humans? How can you not wonder whether this person's life has touched yours by some series of connections?






4 comments:

rosebud101 said...

I love perusing the older parts of cemeteries. Often times there are still those who remember the stories. In one cemetery I visited, there was a tight rope walker who, literally, fell to his death and was buried there. The troop went on without him, but he was lain to rest where I visited. I learned this from an article posted in the newspaper.

Deb said...

Ahhh! Ang - what a great post ( & what timing too!)
Cemeteries are wonderful places to visit, especially when you don't 'have' to. It allows the mind to wander & think about the lives of those who have come before us, what it was like then & how different things are now. It brings it home to me in a way that nothing else quite does....somehow more real that a picture of times past in a book or a movie on TV.

We have a fabulous old cemetery dating back to the early mid 1800's in town & I love wandering around it 'connecting the dots' so to speak.

Sweetwater Designs said...

I agree..lots of intrigue in cemeteries. Im in Boston right now and the buildings and the many cemeteries in this area are absolutely fascinating.
I need to get more photographs before I leave...great photos and post Ang!

~Deborah

angelinabeadalina said...

What a great story about the tight rope walker-- well, it didn't have such a happy ending for him, but you know what I mean! Deborah, that would be so much fun. Hope you get lots of chances to explore! Deb, dear heart, you found exactly the right words to describe it-- connecting the dots!

Sitecounter