Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wanna Walk?

Come on, let's walk side by side through the late afternoon. We can talk about the weather, or we can talk about our "whether or nots," or we can walk in silence.

We're on the low side of the Carlyle Lake Dam right now, on a Nature Trail by the side of the road. The trees are so tall, reaching up and up, forming a cathedral under the bluest sky.

Now, lean against this tall maple goddess of a tree, and look up into the fading green canopy of leaves. It's dizzying and awe-inspiring, all at the same time, isn't it?
Did you feel the shaggy bark as you leaned back against her? I did, and I told her "thank you" for letting me enjoy the view at the expense of a few pieces of bark that crumpled when I moved.
Cottony clouds float along the bluest sky ever, whispering secrets to the treetops.

Isn't it funny how thorny situations can stay at the back of your mind for such a long time? Walking with you makes me loosen up, makes me think I can talk about anything, even those thorny situations... Maybe I won't talk about anything in particular, but I know you will listen while we walk. That is a good feeling.




Or maybe, this tree is in our path today because it symbolizes something larger than our problems. Maybe we are meant to think about crowns of thorns and prophets and philosophers?


Look. I think it's a reminder to cross bridges when you come to them. Don't worry so much about the bridge until you reach it, or you might miss the sights and sounds which build up to it.

Standing here with you, listening to the breeze through the drying leaves, watching for birds flitting here and there, I feel peaceful and happy. Even a dead branch seems beautiful in this frame of mind.


Of course, it's always true for me that driftwood and dead branches and such have an impressive beauty, but it's not always that I connect that to the beauty of the circles of life.

Who really needs to say anything in a spot like this? I'll put my hand on your shoulder and thank you for sharing this with me.

There's part of the dam. Our trail is coming to an end. The sign at the beginning asked us to take nothing and leave only footprints, or I would be tempted to make a bouquet of delicate dry weeds and seeds.




*Sigh*
Goodbye, Trail.
May each of us who walk you come away with a sense of calm and belonging.












4 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Great photos, Ang! You can find the most interesting items in nature that I might have overlooked and turn that view into something extremely interesting.

angelinabeadalina said...

Oh,you would've noticed the thorns on those trees, as well as that dead branch with all the lovely designs :) It's fun to go out exploring and looking for pics, isn't it? I need to get in a daily walk, but I don't think the cats would look as favorably on it as Pixie does her walks, lol

Deb said...

Ang, what a beautiful & thought provoking post! I adore the way you see things & even more so the way you tell of them.

I have photo's of a walk we did in Australia & part of me just wants to hug that walk to my heart & confine it in my memory forever, because I know I can never do justice with words to the feelings that place created within me.
I'm so impressed by the way you write as I know you'd find all the right words!!

angelinabeadalina said...

Deb, you may not feel you are doing it justice, but your pics and words are always beautiful. I know what you are saying, though, because I feel the inadequacy of words at those times, too. That trail really was like a hushed cathedral, but how can words capture that completely?

Sitecounter