Monday, June 27, 2011

Daddy Was a Goldfish, Mama Was an Elvis Impersonator

*Snort*

Goldfish.

Elvis impersonator.

I crack myself up sometimes.


What should I name her? Elvisina? How about naming her for what she was lacking as I created her-- Inspiration? Hee hee, I can't help but laugh every time this photo pops up.


The thing is, Elvisina here is really just another opportunity to practice what I do when I'm being AngelinaBeadalina. My mission at the torch has rarely been confined only to what happens in front of the flame. The other half to the sculpture equation for me has almost always been uncovering and telling each sculpture's story. I can call it an equation, but there's really no rhyme nor reason nor predicting the final outcome, so you can't really think of it in mathematical terms. It either happens, or it doesn't. When it happens, I can feel the groove and "hear" what the glass is telling me. Then, of course, the story is easily uncovered and written down. When it doesn't happen, I know it from the beginning. Yet, for another hour, I'll sit glued in front of the torch like a moth to the screendoor under the porchlight. That's when the Elvisina's happen!


Yep, just like in real life, when it comes to creating things, perseverance can be good or bad or a mixture of both. I think the challenge is learning to figure out whether or not perseverance is warranted in the moment, ya know?


Moral of the story is... if you have goldfish, don't let them answer the door when the Elvis impersonator rings the bell.


Um... no, wait, that's not quite it. Elvisina is kinda cute in her own way. She did provide me with an opportunity to torch. I did have fun making her face once I saw the glass wanted to do a little wiggle along that edge.


Moral of the story is... oh, heck, I can't put it all in words. Just do what you love to do, and go with the flow even when it takes you strange places :-)

3 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Beautiful stuff... Ang.. you're BACK!!! I figured you'd given up blogging and sworn off glass or something... glad to see your still creating your wonderful creations and the stories that go with them.

Deb said...

Go with the flow - yep, no pressure, no pain.

I like it - & I love Elvisina.
Of course the fact that she is orange could be colouring my thoughts ;)

angelinabeadalina said...

Nah, could never leave it altogether, Elaine... just hard to write much when I wasn't torching. It's temporarily set up now, it's summer, and I sure miss everyone when I'm not keeping up with the blogs!

Orange is indeed a fine color, Deb... more and more, I see why it could be a favorite :)

Sitecounter