Thursday, August 11, 2011

What? Doesn't Everyone...

What? Doesn't everyone have an oxygen tank cap and a brass Ganesh on their work table? If you melt glass, you just might have both of those. It just struck me as funny when I set the Ganesh on the table this morning. Not funny ha-ha funny, more like it struck me as unusual funny at the time.

I imagine all of us have our good luck charms and routines in our lives. Artists, especially, seem inclined to work a little inspiration voodoo dance magic whenever we set out to create, don't we? Creating things is a funny business, you know. We want to say we do it from our hearts, that we create because of the need we feel to do so. That's true, but it's also true that creative muses can be finicky, and the reality of making things is that you have to work. You can't just sit at your table and watch the fairies and good luck charms wave their magic wands to "poof" your art into existence. It's more like the good luck charms and fairies and whatever other muses you can conjure are there for moral support, there to cheer on each step until you build momentum and keep going.

Now, you may scoff at good luck charms, especially if you are a natural skeptic such as I am. It's also possible that you may believe that fairies literally do exist. I'm here to tell you that both perspectives have some weight. My way of including both the mystical and the skeptical in my life is to merge the two. You know what I believe about those fairies and magic elves in the workshop? I believe that thinking and dreaming about them is a way of giving my mind permission to explore ideas that it would otherwise shun. I think imagining the life of the fairies opens doors to other creative worlds. I think delving into the stories of deities and good luck charms opens mental windows and lets inspiration breezes blow across my work.

I think setting Ganesh, the Remover of Obstacles, on my work table this morning before I lit the torch opened a closet of confidence and patience... I tried those on for a while, and they fit well while I was torching. Very nice, very nice, indeed.

What about you? Have any good luck charms or rituals you don't mind sharing? I don't know about you, but I love to hear other people's thoughts about these things :)

4 comments:

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

Good luck charms - I have about a gazillion of them. Let's see - I can NOT pass up a penny pressing machine anywhere, love them. And I'm totally distracted if I don't have an ink pen in my pocket (what a geek!). I think faeries and angels are everywhere and your Ganesh is incredible (I'm thinking I need one badly!). It looks so serene by the tank cap like the perfect still life.

angelinabeadalina said...

Geek on, Sharon, geek on :-)
The ink pen in a pocket requirement is terrific, woman!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

I started to say... no, I don't have anything like that... my stuffed animals couldn't possibly count, nor the dragon bead sitting on a red mountain for Fimo clay... my petrified wood... that looks like a lump of coal surely doesn't count either... along with my swordfish statue with the broken tail...nope I don't have anything like that at all... LOL

PETRA JANSSEN said...

Oh, yes ... !

I do have something special in front of me and it always does some magic for me: It's a "natural dancer" created by AngelinaBeadalina ... ♥

Actually your posting is a nice reminder to start working on my new dreamboard ... :)

Sitecounter