Saturday, October 1, 2011

On Second Thought

I absolutely love country music, at least the older stuff and some of the newer stuff. I grew up listening to Johnny, Johnny, and Johnny (Cash, Paycheck, Rodriguez). I had George and Tammy in my veins, and Loretta sat on my shoulder and whispered in my ear. If you ask me, George Strait is certainly an acceptable bridge between older and newer music.


HOWEVER, in the interest of women everywhere, let me write a little note about George's song "Write This Down."


Dear George (or the songwriter or the character singing),

If you had just told her those things, then it would have been good. If you couldn't remember to do that until it was almost too late, then it would have been good to simply say "I'm sorry." Instead, dude, you did what to many men seem to find acceptable. You told her that she should write it down, make herself a note, do it herself if you forgot. Really, man? You can't be bothered to take the time to remember to appreciate her on a regular basis, so now you are putting on her shoulders the responsibility to remind herself that you love her?

Dude, now that I've reconsidered this song, I'm in the mood to write one myself, and it probably won't be any Lady Antebellum kinda sweet longing stuff... naw, I'm thinking more along the lines of something that would make Tammy, Loretta, and Jeannie C proud.

Sincerely,

Me (or any other woman who is having a little trouble translating Martian to Venusian lately)

2 comments:

Maggie said...

George is definitely the loser of that song. It's no wonder she left! I got turned on to country music when I went to the Grand Ole Opry and saw the unknown Garth Brooks. I went home to look for his album, which hadn't yet been released, no one had heard of him and my boyfriend at the time thought I was being weird. I've strayed from country though, not digging the direction it took from the Garth and Alan Jackson days.

angelinabeadalina said...

Maggie, that's an awesome thing, having seen Garth Brooks at the Opry before he was famous! I grew up listening to the older country music (I was born in '66), so the new stuff always sounds "wrong" to my ears... at least until it has been around a few years and the even newer stuff makes it sound better in comparison, lol. I remember disagreeing with my father when the group Alabama first hit it big. He insisted they weren't true to country music, and I thought he'd lost his mind... but now I understand :)

Sitecounter