Sunday, August 26, 2012

Oh, Muse, You Sweet Tormentor...

 
Muse, sweet, Muse, why do you torment me?  Why do you flit in and out of my brain when I am not home or when I am finishing another project?  Where the heck are you when I can make the time to create?
 
I am a lucky, lucky woman.  I have a part-time job as a teacher aide in a pre-K classroom.  I have a fifth grader, sixth grader, and a corporate world hubby (who, by the way, graciously makes it possible for me to be an artist, too).  I have it good, I do.
 
My muse, ficklebitchthatsheis, really doesn't give a flying flip about any of that "good life" yada-yada.  She seems to resent being told that the prime creating time occurs in this house between the time I arrive home from work about 12:45 in the afternoon until time to head out the door about 3:10 to pick up kids from school. Since I am determined to figure this out this year, and since the kids aren't riding the bus home (which cuts a good half-hour off my artist time), I am experimenting with ways to tempt the muse and not waste afternoon art time.  Oh, and I am pretty sure there are non-creative types out there who will read this and "pfffft" at this as mere whining by another "spoiled" stay-at-home-part-of-the-time mom... fine, fine. Your point is taken, and acknowledged. Like I said, I know I am lucky. What I am trying to do is train my Muse to help me make the most of the gift of art time, ya know?  To that end, I'm thinking in terms of how we transport ourselves from one mood to another.  For instance, many of us quickly learn how to turn on the "I'm at work" switch and not goof off excessively in front of the boss.  Sure, we do.  That's part of being a good employee, which is what most of us want to be.
 
Basically, I'm looking for the key to unlock my creative energy on demand, or at least, on a fairly routine schedule.  Artists, crafters, work-for-yourself'ers, how do you do this? I'm thinking I need to find a good album of music to play on the way home, a trigger that makes my mind shift into the artist mode.    I used to do this with housework and Paul Simon's Graceland album.  Worked every time (and I freely admit, should probably be used more often).  Hmmm... What about you guys?  Any tricks to share?

4 comments:

Amanda Littlefield said...

I always seem to find my muse in music, but I have found meditation helps. I know that may sound corny, but a ten minute meditation session helps me sometimes.

angelinabeadalina said...

Hey, Amanda, it's great that you know what will work for you! Art is my meditation, in a way, because once I get into the groove my mind empties all the non-essential stuff.

You can call me Lyssa... said...

I haven't found what exactly works for me yet, I find myself daydreaming of lampworking all day then when I get home to my family I sit in front of the tv with them vegetating, and occasionally glancing over at my workbench wistfully instead of actually making beads. For me it helps when no one is home to keep me company on the couch, but you already have that. What I have ended up having to do is to take notes when my muse DOES decide to visit, and then to force myself to work from my notes when I finally sit at the torch. Music (I have several stations on Pandora) helps dull the grating sounds of my constantly yammering internal editor and let's the soothing strains of my creative subconscious gain a foothold. Sometimes it takes an hour or two of working on stuff I've planned in advance for that to happen, and since I always only have two or three hours to play anyway, frequently I get only the slimmest amount of truly creative time.

Sorry, not much help, but hope you find something in there that does. Help, that is. :)

angelinabeadalina said...

You know, it helps to be reminded I'm not the only person who can't just sit down and start creating right that minute :) Just like you said, it takes a while to turn off all those other voices in our heads and get into the purely creative groove! I think that's why this bothers me-- I have those few hours free, but I know that in reality it's hard to just switch gears so quickly and be creative for the entire time. Sounds like you are well on your way to figuring out what works for you, too...so hang in there, and let yourself enjoy the "truly creative time," no matter how short it feels.

Sitecounter