Sunday, September 2, 2012

Now, For a Little Music Break...Twang Alert, For Those of You Who Don't Like Country


 
Country music...I love the older artists, the ones I listened to when I was a kid.  I adore the sounds of the Loretta Lynns, the Patsy Clines, the Johnny and Junes, the Waylons, the Willies,the Hanks, the Martys,the Leftys, the Merles, and all the rest of the legends I can't name in one breath.
Friday night, Rick's friends Terry and Eileen treated us and the kids to a Merle Haggard concert at the state fair.  I was never much of a concert goer, and it had been years since I'd seen anyone live.  It was time to do it again.  Thanks, again, Terry and Eileen!  It was awe-inspiring to watch a legend play and sing. 
Not everyone knows that my Beatles-loving husband with the Jethro Tull mind grew up listening to country along with the rock 'n roll that was bursting at the seams. He knows a honky tonk kinda song or two.  He also has a warped sense of humor to match my own.  He's been known to hear Merle singing "Mama Tried" and nudge the kids into coming to sing the refrain to me.  In case you've never heard that song, the words I'm talking about go something like this: 
 
I turned 21 in prison, doing life without parole.
No one could steer me right, but Mama tried.
Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading I denied.
That leaves only me to blame, 'cause Mama tried.
 
I told ya we share a warped sense of humor.  We also share an appreciation for those old country songs, so it was nice to spend an evening with our friends and kids, listening to songs we've known forever, enjoying the music.  The kids listen to much of the same music as we do, plus their own new stuff.  They know lots of oldies, whether rock or country.  They used to hear Merle, but I hadn't played his songs in particular in a while, so they didn't sing along much at the concert.  However, since Friday night, I've been you-tubing Haggard songs, and they like to watch and listen.  Of course, they are quicker to pay attention when I find a duet with Merle and Toby Keith singing a Haggard classic. (The kids and I agree on Toby, that we do.)  So, whether or not you like country like we do, take a look at these lyrics for the song in the video above.  It's a relatively newer song written by Merle, and I love the message:
 
"Some Of Us Fly"

We all come along, in our own given time
No way to compare, such unique design
But there's one common trait,

To the scheme of it all
Some of us fly....all of us fall

When life deals you a hand you don't throw it away
The cards that you draw are the cards that you play
Some don't give a damn,
Some give it their all
Some of us fly....but all of us fall

Some spiral down in a circle
Some climb too steeply and stall
Some make the bet some ponder it yet
Some pass, some raise, some call
Some play it smart
I had a ball Some of us fly.... but all of us fall

Some squander life, some turn it around
Some look to the sky, but they can't leave the ground
Some reach for the stars
When they're already tall
Some of us fly....but all of us fall
 
I like that... compassion in cowboy boots. 
 


No comments:

Sitecounter